GMK Logistics has announced that its new purpose built Sydney warehouse at Gregory Hills is now fully operational.
The company had operated from its previous Sydney depot in Smeaton Grange, near Campbelltown in Sydney’s south west, since 2008. Whilst this had proved an ideal location for GMK, the growth of its national operation and the prospect of securing a number of new 3PL customers meant that a larger facility was required.
Construction was completed in December 2015, slightly ahead of schedule and within budget. To minimise disruption to normal scheduled services the move was completed during GMK’s usual Christmas shut-down period. The whole GMK Sydney team pitched in, working very long hours over the holiday period and the new facility was open and ready for business on the first Monday in January.
The new facility is the company’s first ever purpose built facility and includes:
- a 16,000 m2 integrated transport and warehouse facility;
- the capability to extend the warehouse by an additional 4,000 m2
- specialised racking for carpet, vinyl and palletised product
- five cutting machines for carpet and vinyl product;
- a fully integrated back to base security system with 40 cameras;
- 16 transport docks, all equipped with dock levelers;
- a single flow traffic management plan with two street frontages;
- a weighbridge, fully operated from the dock office;
- energy efficient SMART LED lighting system; and
- rain water harvesting for irrigation and amenities.
The company’s greatest challenge now is meeting the significant demand for its services in a booming market for flooring products. The new warehouse is already well utilised and GMK anticipates that the 4,000 m2 warehouse extension will be required within the first year of operation.